Highlife music is indeed a popular music genre in Igbo land, known for its energetic and vibrant sound. It has a rich history and has influenced various other genres in Nigeria and beyond. While it is subjective to say which music category is the best, I can provide you with some renowned highlife musicians and songs that have made a significant impact:
- Chief Stephen Osita Osadebe – “Osondi Owendi”
- Oliver De Coque – “Biri Ka Mbiri”
- Celestine Ukwu – “Ije Enu”
- Oriental Brothers International Band – “Onyeoma Rosa”
- Dr. Sir Warrior & His Oriental Brothers International – “Ozo Wu Iwe M”
- Chief Onyenze Nwa Amobi – “One One Billion”
- Chief Morocco Maduka – “Ochuba Aku”
- Bright Chimezie – “Umunne M”
- Sir Warrior – “Eriwa”
- Prince Nico Mbarga – “Sweet Mother” (fusion of highlife and makossa)
These are just a few examples, and there are many other talented highlife musicians who have contributed to the genre. Highlife music continues to evolve, and contemporary artists are also adding their unique styles to the genre.
It’s important to note that music preference is subjective, and what may be considered the best can vary from person to person. The best way to explore and appreciate highlife music is to listen to various artists and songs, and discover the ones that resonate with you the most.